Sunday, April 5, 2009

A Rare Sighting on the Lake


We had a crisp, sunny day yesterday--but even with clouds, I think the white mass just south of Big Island would have been exceptional. A whiter white I have never seen in the natural world. I grabbed the binoculars to have a closer look and couldn't believe my eyes. A group of American White pelicans were there in all their glory. The white of their beautiful bodies was accentuated by the bold black design at their wing tips--an amazing bird that is only supposed to inhabit North Florida and Western Canada. We were being blessed with a stopover on their way north.

I called my wife to come see this, and she just had time to put the binoculars on them when out of nowhere came a bass boat--plowing hard for the middle of the group. I'm happy to say all the birds made it into the air just in time--but they are now nowhere to be seen.

If there is one thing I have learned in my sixty-four years: We may be threatened with the extinction of species--but we will never run out of morons.