Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Little Tree That Could



In the twelve years I've lived on Treasure Island, I've found that every living thing has its role to play. At first I couldn't see it in the Mulberry on the sea wall--it was always dropping berries all over the place and it blocked a fine view of the lake as well. As time went on I found it also was a favorite haven for all manner of birds--and also a hangout for fish--as they loved to park themselves under the outstretched limbs to grab the berries as they fell.


Pictured above is another tree--one that I almost never even notice. I can't tell you what kind it is--perhaps a berry tree of some sort--but look what it does in the fall! Most of the year it parks itself at the kitchen deck and I walk right by it. But who can't appreciate it now!